- December - Delivering keynote lecture ‘The Many Shapes of Regulatory Crisis: Competing Narratives, Competing Interests and the Importance of Embracing Chaos’ at the 2nd AGORAS Conference, December 13th-14th 2018, Paris, Lessons learned? Studying learning devices and processes in relation to technological accidents
- December - Visiting ETH Risk Center Zurich and presenting in the Center’s Seminar Series: ‘Risk Regulation is a Risky Business: Negotiating the Consequences of Risk, Disasters and Crises’
- August - final Institute of International Education (IIE) Committee Meeting New York
- June - Annual Meeting Nordic Societal Security Program, Oslo
- June – Law & Society Association Annual Meeting Toronto, discussant panel on 'Regulation and Power'
- 14 March - 'Regulatory Crises: The Exploitation or Remediation of Public Troubles?' Melbourne School of Government
- 9 March - Presentation on to FSANZ Workshop on 'Better use of Economics and the Social Sciences in the Food Regulatory System'.
- 8 March - Presentation on 'Social Science Research and Policy Relevance: Risk Regulation Research in the UK' to the FSANZ Board.
- 7 March - Presentation to Food Safety Regulatory Economics Working Group (FSREWG) teleconference 'The Better Use of Social Science in the Food Regulatory System: Risk Regulation Research: Some UK Examples'.
- 6 March - Presentation to Food Standards Agency of Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) staff on 'Social Science Research and Policy Relevance: Risk Regulation Research in the UK'.
- February: Institute of International Education (IIE) Committee Meeting New York
- February: Presentation on resilience and flooding to the Environment Agency's Long-Term Investment Scenarios Development Group
- December New article for 'Risk & regulation", the magazine of the Centre for the Analysis of Risk and Regulation, 'What’s law got to do with it?'
- November. Appointed a FSANZ Fellow. This a network of experts who can provide the Food Standards Agency of Australia and New Zealand with objective expert advice and critical review.
- 28 July: Book release, Hutter, B.M. (ed) "Risk, resilience, inequality and environmental law" Edward Elgar Publishing.
- June: Annual Meeting Nordic Societal Security Program, Copenhagen.
- 1 June: presentation at the LSE Summer Term Teaching Café on the ways in which research led teaching have informed SO425 Regulation, Risk and Economic Life and eventually the development of the MSc Economy, Risk and Society.
- 30 May: Book launch of "Regulatory Crisis: negotiating the consequences of risk, disasters and crises" co-authored with Sally Lloyd-Bostock. Cambridge University Press. In this CARR & LSE Sociology Department event, Bridget, Sally and the Chief Executive Officer of the Civil Aviation Authority, Andrew Haines, joined a discussion on the topic of the book considering how a regulatory crisis can emerge from a disaster, and what we can learn about regulation by considering disasters, including the capacity of regulators to actively manage secondary regulatory crises.
- 24 May: New article for 'Risk & regulation", the magazine of the Centre for the Analysis of Risk and Regulation. Read the article "Regulatory crisis" in page 10.
- 12 May: presentation of paper 'From Regulatory Enforcement to Regulatory Crisis: Changing Conceptions of Regulation' at Workshop on Risk Regulation, Université Paris Dauphine, Paris.
- 11 May: Book release "Regulatory Crisis: Negotiating the Consequences of Risk, Disasters and Crises".
- March: Visiting Chinese University Hong Kong, Distinguished Scholar Scheme
- March: seminar presentation 'Regulatory Crises: Regulatory Encounters with Disaster, A Multi-disciplinary Approach' Chinese University Hong Kong
- March: presentation to Social Science Faculty 'Risk Regulation Research and Risk Governance Practice: The REF and Impact'
- March: Participating in Workshop on Proportionate and Adaptive Governance of Innovative Technologies (PAGIT) Project: Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI), organized by the Innogen Institute, University of Edinburgh.
- February: Institute of International Education (IIE) Committee Meeting New York
- December: published 'A Risk Regulation Perspective on Regulatory Excellence' in C Coglianese (ed.) Achieving Regulatory Excellence. Brookings Institution Press
- September: Socio-Legal PhD Workshop, European University Institute (EUI).
- July: Institute of International Education (IIE) Meeting, Italy
- June: appointed Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Nordic Societal Security research programme
- June: meeting of the Scientific Advisory Board and Annual Conference of the Nordic Societal Security research programme, Reykjavik
- March: appointed to the Environment Agency's Long-Term Investment Scenarios Development Group
- February: Institute of International Education (IIE) Committee Meeting New York
- January: appointed to Advisory Board of ESPREssO - Enhancing Synergies for disaster Prevention in the European Union, Horizon-2020 Work programme Secure Societies
- 30 November: participated in R&D conference at the Norwegian Directorate for Civil Protection (DSB), gave presentation on 'Risk Regulation Research and Risk Governance Practice' and Plenary Session on 'National risk policy and governance'
- October: appointed to Academy of Social Sciences Policy Working Group
- October: gave a presentation on 'The Future Proofing of the State' to a Futures Foundation Forum meeting in Melbourne.
- 12-16 October: visitor Monash Law Faculty and Centre for Commercial Law and Regulatory Studies
- 7-9 October: visiting University of Tasmania, Hobart. Gave a presentation ‘Social Science Perspectives on Environmental Risk Regulation’ to the Faculty of Law and the Institute for the Study of Social Change
- 1 October: Distinguished Scholar Seminar 'Regulatory Crises: regulatory encounters with disaster', RegNet, Australian National University
- 13 September - 7 October: Visiting Professor, RegNet, Australian National University
- August: appointed to the Scientific Advisory Board of the Nordic multidisciplinary research programme on Societal Security
- 2-3 July: participated in a Roundtable on ‘Food markets and cultures of consumption are we being served?’ University of Monash Prato
- June: organised (with Julien Etienne) a CARR Workshop: Whither Inspection? The Changing Face of Regulatory Enforcement
- May: Bridget Hutter, Professor of Risk Regulation, discusses why extensive regulation is not always a good idea
- 24 March: participating in CARR and Higher Education Commission Workshop on ‘Regulating Higher Education’
- 19-20 March: participating in ‘Best-in-Class Regulator International Expert Dialogue’, organized by the Penn Program on Regulation
- February: visiting New York for Rockefeller Committee Meeting
- 13 February: ‘CARR Regulators’ Forum’, Professor Bridget Hutter (LSE) and Martin Lodge discuss Regulatory Failure
- 2 February: participation in Academic Workshop on the modernisation of the risk rating system of food establishments in the UK, Social Research Institute, Ipsos MORI
- 12 January 2015: participated in a ‘Food and You Expert Workshop: Food Practices (Inside and Outside the Home) and Risk’ NatCen, London
- December: publication of LSE Impact Website, resources and video
- October: 'Risk and responsibility' - a Review of The Social Roots of Risk Producing Disasters, Promoting Resilience by Kathleen Tierney, Stanford Business Books, 2014. in Science 3 October 2014 Vol. 346 no. 6205 p. 45. Read online or download PDF
- July: appointed to Rockefeller Foundation Institute of International Education Selection Review Committee 2014-2017
- 10 April: Public Lecture on ‘Risk Regulation and Crisis: A Social Science Perspective on Global Uncertainties’, Princeton Institute for International and Regional Studies Research Community on Global Systemic Risk, Princeton University
- March: appointed to an Institute of International Education (IIE) Committee of the Rockefeller Foundation
- 28 August: seminar presentation ‘Has Risk Regulation Gone Too Far? Regulating in an Ambivalent Environment’ to the Australian Productivity Commission
- 18-31 August: Visiting RegNet, Australian National University
- 21 June: attended an expert workshop of senior regulators, and academics, designed to explore ways in which food safety regulation might develop in the next few years, organized by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health
- 22 May: Interview with Chinadialogue's on food safety governance
- 16 May: attended a collaborative workshop at the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) on the subject of Better Regulation, sponsored by the Better Regulation Executive (BRE) and Better Regulation Delivery Office (BRDO)
- 11-12 April: presenting a paper with Sally Lloyd-Bostock on ‘The unfolding of disasters and crises’ at the Freie Universitaet Berlin
- 14 March: presenting at the Westminster Business Forum Keynote Seminar: Next steps for delivering business regulation - reforming enforcement regimes and expanding the Primary Authority scheme
- 4 March: presenting a paper ‘Governance and Regulation as Risk Management’ at the Charted Institute of Environmental Health Officers’ Health and Safety Conference 2013: Planning for the future and learning from the past
- July/August: visiting RegNet, Australian National University, 31st July gave a Masterclass: Risk Regulation and Crisis: Developing a research project
- July: delivered a keynote address on ‘The Governance challenges, the role of the state and the limits’ at the Australia and New Zealand School of Government (ANZSOG) Annual Conference 2012, on Future Proofing the State: Risk, Responses and Resilience at the Museum of New Zealand, Te Papa Tongarewa, Wellington, New Zealand 24–26 July. See photograph
- May: Invited presentation on ‘A Delicate Balance: A Social Science Perspective on Risk Regulation’ at workshop on Global Environmental Risk Governance under Conditions of Scientific Uncertainty: Legal, Political and Social Transformations, Bar Ilan University, Israel
- 27 March: 'Managing Food Safety and Hygiene', 7th Chief Scientist Lecture, Food Standards Agency. See the blog for the event
- 13th March: chairing: ‘Myths and Realities 13 Security and Surveillance: Has it Gone Too Far?’ - a public lecture organised/supported jointly by the Academy of Social Science and the British Library
- 6 December: presenting at the research seminar (“Forschungswerkstatt”) at the at Freie Universität Berlin on the topic 'Governing Food Risks - The Role of State and Non-State Influences'
- 28 November: chairing: 'From the Other Side: Social scientists inside governmen', A British Library and Strategic Society Centre joint debate exploring the opportunities and pitfalls of governments using social scientists to make sense of the world
- 7-14 August: visiting RegNet, Australian National University, and giving a seminar in the CEGNet (Climate and Environmental Governance Network) seminar series
- 23 July - 5 August: visited Sociology Department, Melbourne University, and participated in a public seminar and panel discussion with Fiona Haines (University of Melbourne) on 'Regulating Risk in an Uncertain World', 28 July; delivered a Public Lecture 'Social Science Perspectives on Risk Regulation', 3 August; presentation on 'A Perspective on Risk Regulation' at the staff seminar of the Centre for Regulatory Studies, Monash University
- 18 July: presentation on Enforcement at the Co-Reach Conference on Regulatory Enforcement in China and Europe, Institute of Law, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences
- April-May: residency at the Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Center to work on the project 'Risk Regulation and Crisis' with Professor Sally Lloyd-Bostock
- February-March: visiting Professor Amsterdam Law School, The Netherlands China Law Centre
- 16-26 January: Genest Global Scholar at Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Toronto
- 19 November: member of the Expert Forum on Integrative Risk Management, Swiss Re Centre for Global Dialogue, Rüschlikon
- September: gave a paper entitled 'Risk regulation and food safety in the UK: change and compliance in post crisis environments' at an international workshop on 'The Governance of Food Safety', Tsinghua University, Beijing
- 9-10 June: part of a Co-Reach workshop involving colleagues from the University of Amsterdam and the Chinese Academy of Social Science
- 29-31 May: an official invitee of the Shanghai Forum 2010. Presentation on 'Regulatory governance: prospects in a changing world', Fudan University
- Conferred the Award of Academician of the Academy of Social Sciences
- 26 February: chaired an expert review of the Environment Agency's Better Regulation Science Programme, Bristol
- 25 January: panellist at the Harvard Kennedy School Global Series Regional Meeting on the subject of 'Managing Widespread Global Risk', London
- 26 November: gave a lunchtime lecture entitled 'Thinking Like a Social Scientist' outlining a social science approach to understanding risk regulation, LSE
- 20-22 November: took part in the Summit on the Global Agenda, Dubai
- 18 November: part of the ESRC Academy of Social Sciences and British Library public debate series on 'Myths and Realities 2: Making Sense of Risk', British Library
- 28 October: attended a QFinance round table dinner of QFinance contributors, senior representatives from Bloomsbury Publishing, The Qatar Financial Centre Authority (QFCA) and senior media attendees. City of London
- Received Co-Reach funding for comparative research on regulatory law enforcement in China and the EU. This is as part of a collaborative project with colleagues from the University of Leiden and the Chinese Academy of Social Science
- Invited Member of the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council on Catastrophic Risks. Each Council, comprised of 15-20 Members, serves as an advisory board to the Forum and other interested parties, such as governments and international organizations
- 8-9 June: participating in a Roundtable on Risk Governance Deficits and Emerging Risks at the Swiss Re Centre for Global Dialogue hosted by The IRGC Scientific and Technical Council, Rüschlikon
- 25-27 May: presenting a paper on ‘The new governance, risk regulation and the business organization’ at workshop on 'New Governance and the Business Organization', University of British Columbia, Vancouver
- Attended the Shanghai Forum 2009 and giving a presentation on 'Policy responses to climate change: the role of risk regulation in mitigating adverse effects'
- 24-25 April: keynote speaker at the conference on Societal Risk, Relevant Interdisciplinary Frames of Reference in Oslo
- Participated in and chaired a panel at the Environment Agency's 'Measuring the Effectiveness of Regulation' workshop aiming to exchange views and develop a common understanding of what evidence the Environment Agency needs regarding the effectiveness of its interventions
- Contributed to the Pennington Inquiry report on the Welsh E.coli outbreak (with former CARR graduate Dr Tola Amodu). Commissioned to prepare a report on Risk Regulation and Compliance: Food Safety in the UK
- Featured in a short film produced for The Independent newspaper’s website
- 7-11 December: presented lectures on ’A Delicate Balance: Social Science Perspectives on Risk Regulation’ to LSE alumni groups in Beijing and Shanghai and to Chevening scholars at the British Embassy
- 4-5 December: keynote speaker at the International Symposium on Risk and Social Policy in Changing Asian Societies, organized by the Department of Applied Social Studies City University of Hong Kong, and co-organized by Graduate School of International Development and Cooperation Kibi International University, Japan & The Social Policy Research Centre, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
- 26 November: presented a lunchtime lecture as part of the LSE Thinking Like a Social Scientist series
- 7-9 November: participated in the World Economic Forum Summit on the Global Agenda 2008, World Economic Forum (WEF) Council on Mitigation of Natural Disasters. Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- 17-18 October: presented a paper on 'The role of private actors in regulatory regimes' at a conference on 'New Regulatory Strategies for European integration?' at the Florence School of Regulation and the Robert Schuman Center, European University Institute
- 5-8 September: presented at the ISA World Forum of Sociology, Barcelona, Spain
- Organized the ‘Rationalities of Governance and Regulation’ stream and gave a keynote talk on ‘Anticipating Risk and Organising Risk Regulation: Governance in Public and Private Spaces’.
- May: appointed to World Economic Forum (WEF) Council on Mitigation of Natural Disasters
- 15-17 May: speaker at a multidisciplinary Social Science Conference, co-hosted by the British Academy under the auspices of an EC-funded project, CO-REACH and the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing, China