Bridget Hutter's Selected Articles & Chapters
- A Risk Regulation Perspective on Regulatory Excellence. In C Coglianese (ed.) Achieving Regulatory Excellence. Brookings Institution Press, 2016. A version of the paper can be read here: here.
- Lessons for Government in Minimising Risk: What can the public service learn from the private sector? In Boston, Wanna, Pritchard and Lipski (eds.) Future-Proofing the State. ANU Press, 2014.
- 'Risk and responsibility' - a Review of The Social Roots of Risk Producing Disasters, Promoting Resilience by Kathleen Tierney, Stanford Business Books, 2014, Science 346(6205): 45, 2014.
- Risk, interest groups and the definition of crisis: the case of volcanic ash (with Sally Lloyd-Bostock), The British Journal of Sociology 64: 383–404, 2013.
- Negotiating social, economic and political environments: Compliance with regulation within and beyond the state, in C Parker and V Nielsen (eds.) Explaining Compliance: Business Responses to Regulation. Edward Elgar, 2011.
- Understanding the new regulatory governance: business perspectives, Law & Policy 33(4): 459-76, 2011.
- Visualizations of risk and governance: some observations on change, in R Chan, M Takahashi and L Wang (eds.) Risk and Public Policy in East Asia. Farnham: Ashgate, 2010.
- Occupational safety and health, in P Cane and H Kritzer (eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Empirical Legal Studies. Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Anticipating risk and organizing risk regulation: current dilemmas, in BM Hutter (ed.) Anticipating Risk and Organising Risk Regulation. Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Conclusion: important themes and future research directions, in BM Hutter (ed.) Anticipating Risk and Organising Risk Regulation. Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- The role of risk regulation in mitigating natural disasters, in H Kunreuther and M Useem (eds.) Learning from Catastrophes: Strategies for Reaction and Response. Upper Saddle River (NJ): Wharton School Publishing, 2009.
- Reforming regulation of the medical profession: the risks of risk-based approaches (with S Lloyd-Bostock), Health, Risk and Society 10(1): 69-83, 2008.
- From government to governance: external influences on business risk management (with C Jones), International Journal of Regulation and Governance 1(1): 27-45, 2007.
- Risk regulation and management’, in P Taylor-Gooby and J Zinn (eds.) Risk in Social Science. Oxford University Press, 2006.
- The role of non-state actors in regulation, in GF Schuppert (ed.) Global Governance and the Role of Non-State Actors. Berlin: Nomos, 2006.
- Ways of seeing: understandings of risk in organizational settings, in BM Hutter and M Power (eds.) Organizational Encounters with Risk. Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- Organizational encounters with risk: an introduction (with M Power), in BM Hutter and M Power (eds.) Organizational Encounters with Risk. Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- Risk management and governance, in P Eliadis, MM Hill and M Howlett (eds.) Designing Government: From Instruments to Governance. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2004.
- NGOs, democratization and the regulatory state: concluding remarks (with J O’Mahony), in European Policy Forum, ESRC Future of Governance, CARR and European Economic and Social Committee (eds.) NGOs, Democratization and the Regulatory State. London: European Policy Forum, 2003.
- Is enforced self-regulation a form of risk taking?: the case of railway health and safety, International Journal of the Sociology of Law 29: 379-400, 2001.
- Risk management and business regulation (with M Power), in J. Pickford (ed.) Mastering Risk, Volume 1. London: Pearson, 2000.
- Geopolitics and the regulation of economic life (with N Dodd), Law & Policy 22(1): 1-24, 2000.
- Controlling workplace deviance: state regulation of occupational health and safety, in IH Simpson and RL Simpson (eds.) Deviance in the Workplace. Jai Press, 1999.
- Regulatory relations: reforming regulation, in WS Lofquist, MA Cohen and GA Rabe (eds.) Debating Corporate Crime: An Interdisciplinary Examination of the Causes and Control of Corporate Misconduct. Cincinnati: Anderson Publishing, 1997.
- Law's relationship with social science: the interdependence of theory, empirical work and social relevance in socio-legal studies (with S Lloyd-Bostock), in K Hawkins (ed.) The Human Face of Law. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1997.
- Regulating employers and employees: health and safety in the workplace, Journal of Law and Society 20(4): 452-70, 1993.
- Regulation: standard setting and enforcement, Law & Society Review 27(1): 233-48, 1993.
- The response of business to social regulation in England and Wales: an enforcement perspective (with K. Hawkins), Law & Policy 15(3): 199-218, 1993.
- Business adaptation to legal regulation (with PC Sorensen), Law & Policy 15(3): 169-79, 1993.
- Public accident inquiries: the case of the Railway Inspectorate, Public Administration 70(2): 177-92, 1992.
- Field level perceptions of risk in regulatory agencies (with S Lloyd-Bostock), in JF Short and L Clarke (eds.) Organisations, Uncertainty and Risk. Boulder (Colorado): Westview Press, 1992.
- The power of accidents: the social and psychological impact of accidents and the enforcement of safety regulations (with S Lloyd-Bostock), British Journal of Criminology 30(4): 409-22, 1990.
- The contexts of regulation: the impact upon health and safety inspectorates (with PK Manning), Law & Policy 12(2): 103-36, 1990.
- Variations in regulatory styles, Law & Policy 11(2): 153-74, 1989. Reprinted in A Sanders (ed.) Prosecution. Aldershot: Gower, 1996.
- An inspector calls: the importance of proactive enforcement in the regulatory context, British Journal of Criminology 26(2,): 114-28, 1986. Reprinted in D Nelken (ed.) White Collar Crime. Aldershot: Gower, 1993. Reprinted in H. Croall (ed.) Corporate Crime. Sage, 2009.
Selected Reports & Discussion Papers
- Risk Regulation and Food Safety in the UK: Change in Post Crisis Environments Working Papers Series - Governance and Globalization - Sciences Po in China, 2012.
- Risk Regulation and Compliance: Food Safety in the UK (with T Amodu). Report prepared for the Pennington Inquiry on the Welsh E.coli outbreak which took the life of one five year old and made around 150 others ill. 2008.
- Business risk management practices: the influence of state regulatory agencies and non-state sources (with C Jones). CARR Discussion Paper 41, 2006.
- The role of non-state actors in regulation. CARR Discussion Paper 37, 2006.
- The attractions of risk-based regulation: accounting for the emergence of risk ideas in regulation. CARR Discussion Paper 33, 2005.
- The role of civil society organizations in regulating business (with J O’Mahony), CARR Discussion Paper 26, 2004.
- Regulation, management and compliance (with R Baldwin and H Rothstein). A Report to the Bristol Royal Infirmary Inquiry, 2000.